Sunday, February 15, 2009

KODAMA PURATTO ECONOMY PLAN - Discount tickets Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka

The Kodama Puratto Economy Plan is a fantastic discount ticket that allows one to travel from Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka area for about 10,000 yen. This is roughly 3,000 yen less then a regular Shinkansen ticket. This is a fantastic discount ticket that any one can purchase, so it does not matter what your visa status is (unlike the Japan Rail Pass).

You also get one free drink!

Because the information is provided only in Japanese, I have translated the Japanese website for you to help you plan your trip. If you wish to bookmark this page or send it to friends, please give me some credit, THANKS! I hope you find this useful in your trip savings!

The original website in Japanese is here:
http://www.jrtours.co.jp/kodama/tokyo.html

First to purchase the ticket you need to purchase at least ONE day in advance.
You can purchase it at any JR TOURS office at Tokyo Station or Shinagawa Station. JR TOURS is operated by JR Central/Central Japan Railways. You can not purchase these tickets at the regular JR East (green) offices inside Tokyo or Shinagawa Stations. JR TOUR offices are colored orange vs green as East Japan Railways/JR East offices.

Here is a translation of the site to help you in your planning:

TOKYO - KYOTO/OSAKA
Note that it is about every other Kodama Shinkansen that goes to Kyoto/Osaka as listed on the timetable.

TIMETABLE OSAKA-TOKYO



My recommendation is going to the JR TOURS OFFICES with the printed copy of the information to make reservations easier if you are uneasy with any language barrier.
They can also assist you with return tickets, I am working on getting a copy of the return schedule, should be done by tomorrow and will be posted.

I have used this ticket a few times to travel from Tokyo to Osaka without problems.

If you have any question, please feel free to leave a comment below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

ENJOY your trip to Kyoto/Osaka or vice versa!

The JR Tour offices at Shinagawa Station are located near the EAST/KONAN EXIT: JR TOKAI TOURS
http://english.jr-central.co.jp/info/station/shinagawa.html
Shinagawa Station is a much easier to navigate station then Tokyo Station, and I usually get my tickets at Shinagawa Station.

The JR Tour offices at Tokyo Station are located on the Yaesu Side of Tokyo Station:
http://english.jr-central.co.jp/info/station/tokyo.html
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1039.html
Its a jungle at Tokyo Station, so I recommend Shinagawa Station for ease.

10 comments:

  1. I guess the hardest part of this would be finding a JR Tours Office!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not too difficult, they are usually located near the JR Central (Orange colored "JR") offices.
    I have updated the blog with the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be staying in Kobe for the whole trip and my plan is to acquire a 15-day JR Pass so I can go back and forth to Tokyo without having to worry about transportation cost.

    Is this possible or are there limitations that I should be aware of?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you catch the Kodama train in the Tokyo station? Also can you purchase these tickets at Ueno station? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there any JR Tour Offices in Narita Airport or Chiba area or Tokyo Bay area?

    My family only staying Tokyo for 3 days, out of which 2 days spent in Disneyland. Since we need to get ticket one day in advance, I am thinking of getting it one the first day we arrive Japan.

    Hopefully, we don't have to travel to Tokyo station just to get the ticket.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi TokyoExpert! Great info you have here. I arrive into Tokyo on 26 Mar to join a Nakasendo Trail walking tour that starts on 31 Mar which ends in Kyoto. Two Qs:

    (A) Can I book online now for 12 Apr 2014 Train 638 leaving Kyoto at 0805 hours and arriving Shinagawa at 1139 hours with the intention to connect to Narita Express (about 1 hour) to reach Narita Airport for my flight leaving at 1515 hours?

    (B) Any interesting day tours or 2-3 day side trips from Tokyo that you would recommend? I arrive into Tokyo (Narita) on 26 Mar at 1705 hours and my Nakasendo Walking tour starts on 31 Mar. So I have about 4 full days to play around with. Much obliged for any travel recommendations (is Nagoya worth making a detour or some other charming village or town)?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there any place to buy these tickets near Shin-Osaka or Shin-Kobe stations ? I plan to travel Shin-Osaka to Shin-Yokohama using this ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. where can I buy these tickets in Nagoya?

    ReplyDelete
  10. very useful information..now we can save our transport cost

    ReplyDelete